As business infrastructure grows, it necessarily becomes more diverse and heterogeneous. Relatively simple on-premises environments have exploded into an ever-growing range of applications and architectures including cloud, hybrid, multi-cloud, monolithic, microservices, and serverless. The need to innovate and provide exceptional customer experiences in fields such as ecommerce, Big Data, IoT, AI, and cloud computing is driving the adoption of these dynamic environments. APIs are essential infrastructure connectors across these environments.
Typical Enterprise Infrastructures
Most modern large enterprise application architectures include some or all of the following types of infrastructures:
- Monolithic Architectures: Traditional and unified, where an application is developed as a single unit.
- Microservices Architectures: Autonomous, loosely coupled services can be deployed independently. It prioritizes business capabilities and allows for quick, reliable, and sustainable application delivery.
- Serverless Architectures: Backend services are provided based on usage, eliminating the need for fixed server management, often available on cloud computing platforms.
- Legacy Applications: Outdated yet crucial systems integral to the business.
Today’s Enterprises Embrace Heterogeneous Infrastructure
Heterogeneous infrastructure environments represent a fusion of various technology stacks, including both legacy, traditional, and modern software applications. Enterprises gravitate towards such environments for several reasons:
- Utilization of the best tools for specific needs
- Enhanced agility and speed in product development
- Prioritizing security, cost, and performance
- Attracting and retaining technical talent in a competitive market
Inherent API Security Challenges
Embracing the benefits of system diversity options also brings significant challenges, particularly in API security. The complex nature of these environments requires meticulous management and heightened coordination across functional teams. Securing the numerous APIs exposed by these varied systems has traditionally required adopting multiple vendor solutions and integrations to ensure full API security coverage.
A Unified API Protection Platform for Heterogeneous Environments
The Cequence Unified API Protection (UAP) platform is ideal for heterogeneous infrastructures, offering API protection across varied applications and architectures without the need for integrations or instrumentation with existing applications as required by other products.
Cequence UAP provides robust API security regardless of the application architecture, be it monolithic, microservices, serverless, or legacy applications. The infrastructure-agnostic nature of the platform proves vital in heterogenous environments, where a one-size-fits-all approach is a hinderance to business growth. Cequence UAP simplifies security operations by eliminating the need for multiple API security tools or complex API security deployments, significantly reducing the risk of inconsistent security implementations.
Cequence UAP Deployment Advantages
The Cequence Unified API Protection platform offers a range of deployment advantages, each catering to the diverse needs of modern enterprises:
- Flexible Deployment: Cequence offers a wide range of deployment options, providing both active protection with inline threat mitigation and passive monitoring capabilities. It provides integration options with CDN edge workers, API Gateway modules, and microservices sidecars as an alternative to the platform’s in-line proxy deployment for its data plane.
- SaaS and self-hosted options: Whether you prefer SaaS or on-premises (self-hosted) deployment, Cequence caters to both, providing protection for APIs across SaaS, data centers, cloud, hybrid setups, legacy applications, and modern architectures. This deployment flexibility accommodates the most demanding compliance and business requirements.
- Centralized management: Implementing Cequence enables organizations to avoid the complexity of managing multiple point products by different vendors. The Cequence UAP platform offers centralized management and policy enforcement across all protected APIs, simplifying the API security landscape in diverse environments and ensures seamless scalability in line with the growth of an organization’s API ecosystems.
Free API Security Assessment
See what attackers see with a free API Security Assessment from Cequence. It’s easy to get started, and there’s no obligation.
Never miss an update!